Cherry Blossom Picnic
March 18, 10 am-4 pm. Celebrate spring with a hanami or Cherry Blossom Picnic on March 18 from 10 am-4 pm. Enjoy lunch from one
March 18, 10 am-4 pm.
Celebrate spring with a hanami or Cherry Blossom Picnic on March 18 from 10 am-4 pm. Enjoy lunch from one of our Asian-inspired food trucks, take a guided tour through the Japanese Garden, and participate in traditional crafts and games during one of the most beautiful times at the Garden.
Attendees can enjoy family-friendly activities including creating kimono dolls and koi windsocks and learning shodo name writing and origami. The event also features performances by 901 Taiko, a koto performance from Maika Yamaoka, and guided tours of the Japanese Garden from Horticulturist Robin Howell. Plus we’ll have Asian-inspired food trucks on-site for a picnic lunch and a signature cocktail and other spring spirits will be available from our cash bar.
The Cherry Blossom Picnic is the perfect way to celebrate spring with learning opportunities, hands-on activities, and more.
Inside Hardin Hall
- Listen to 901 Taiko & a koto performance from Maika Yamaoka
- Stop & see Anime Blues Con and the University of Memphis Language Club
- Create a kimono doll & a koi windsock
- Participate in a kid-friendly tea ceremony
- Learn shodo name writing & origami
- Play Japanese games
- Enjoy a Cherry Blossom cocktail or other spring spirits from our cash bar
Great Lawn & Japanese Garden
- Take a guided tour
- Grab lunch from Mr. Casas Japanese & Mexican Food, Rice Burner, Soi #9, Mempops, or Pok Cha’s Egg Rolls
- 10 am: Koto Performance from Maika Yamaoka
- 11 am: 901 Taiko
- 11:30 am: Guided Tour of the Japanese Garden from Horticulturist Robin Howell
- 11:45 am: Kid-friendly tea ceremony
- 1 pm: 901 Taiko
- 1:30 pm: Guided Tour of the Japanese Garden from Horticulturist Robin Howell
- 1:45 pm: Kid-friendly tea ceremony
This event is in partnership with Japan Outreach Initiative, the University of Memphis, and the University of Memphis Japanese Culture Club.
No registration is necessary. Free with Garden admission.
In the event of inclement weather, this event will be canceled. We will post any necessary updates on our social media on the day of the event.
(Saturday) 10:00 am - 4:00 pm